Friday, July 7, 2017

Week 2 Topic 1

This is my first experience with Twitter. While I am embarrassed to admit this, it is true. I think I am officially “old”. I feel completely out of the loop. I don’t use Instagram, Twitter, or Google+. Really my social media presence ends with Facebook, which I mainly use for the Marketplace aspect. So as I completed creating my new Twitter account I chose a handful of people/organizations to follow that immediately came to my mind. First off I followed the Oregon Ducks because I am a die-hard Ducks fan. I know, that’s not very accepted now that I’m taking classes in the heart of Beaver Nation. I also immediately chose to follow Khloe Kardashian. I don’t know why, but I absolutely ADORE her. I even named my dog after her 7 years ago when she was a puppy. Which leads to the next organization I followed on Twitter; PIt Bull Lovers. I think they are the most beautiful, sweet, loving dogs on the planet. I also am following the Ellen Degeneres Show because she is hilarious and I love her show.

The best thing I have seen lately on Facebook was a meme that said, “Meanwhile, in Oregon, Pollen counts are so high that the tweakers are converting their Meth back to Sudafed.” I’m not sure why but that literally made me laugh out loud. I enjoy that sarcastic, dark humor. I shared that post immediately.

I don’t feel like social media had influenced my ability to participate in democracy. Probably due to the fact that I am not growing up in the era of social media explosion. I do often think that growing up and being a teenager in this day in age, my experience would be drastically different. I can see how social media could greatly influence the youth of today and enhance their ability to  participate in democracy. I myself try to avoid social media as much as possible because I have seen it take a small issue or a very personal issue and blow it up to epic proportions. I have seen social media do rapid, irreparable damage to people and I think it’s just a huge network of pot-stirring and drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment