Friday, July 7, 2017

Week 2 Topic 2

I do completely agree with the fact that we are becoming more connected, but also setting ourselves up to become more isolated. I feel the exact same way. While I know that social media has brought people together that would have never otherwise known about each other's existence, it has also made a generation of kids who are so consumed with their smartphones that they are missing essential life experiences. I feel like kids today don’t have the same experiences as I did as a child. I think that kids are growing up way too fast these days and I’m not sure it’s a direct result of social media, but it has contributed to it. In my family I am basically the only one who is attached at the hip to my devices. I have been asked to leave my phone in my car while I am at my Dad’s house. I don’t usually follow this rule but I do make an effort to refrain from checking my phone every 5 minutes while I am there.

I do not play any online games or have any gaming apps on my phone. I did play Candy Crush for a moment, but it was infuriating after I reached a level I couldn’t beat for over two weeks.

I would say that I spend about an hour a day total on social media. Most of that time is Facebook Marketplace, OfferUp, and LetGo. I would estimate that of that hour per day MAYBE 5 minutes is spent scrolling through my newsfeed on Facebook. I just don’t see the point to it anymore. I am tired of reading all these vague attention seeking posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment