Thursday, July 13, 2017

WEEK 3 Topic 2



Ad #1:
This was a Planet Fitness Commercial where several different scenes were acted out. Each one made me laugh out loud. The theme here was “being rejected” and each scene of this commercial showed a different person experiencing a different type of rejection. It opens with a woman at the pet store looking for a kitten. Among the scenarios in the commercial there is a female EMT participating in a CPR course. When the time comes for the mouth to mouth part the EMT grabs the dummy and plugs the nose while she leans down to breathe into the dummy’s mouth the doll comes to life long enough to say “EWWWWW” disgustedly. The scenes each end with the commercial’s narrator saying, “ The world judges, we don’t. Planet Fitness….Be Free!”
To me this ad and most of their other ads use several persuasive techniques and depending on the individual viewer it could invoke several different emotions and or thoughts. I think on a basic level they are trying to target and appeal to the common folk. Normal everyday people who want to improve their health without worrying about the fashion show or the judgemental attitudes of the other gyms. Their goal is to portray a welcoming, safe place for you to better yourself, regardless of starting point. They do accomplish that in my opinion they use several techniques including hidden-fear, stereotypes, snob-appeal, etc. I think depending on the viewer one or more of these techniques is bound to draw them in and keep their attention.

Ad #2
The most bizarre commercial I've seen lately left me in suspense the whole length of it then puzzled at the end. I had absolutely no clue what product it would be a commercial for and even after I’d seen the whole thing I didn’t know because it’s a brand i have never heard of. It did draw my attention though right away. It shows a sexy Italian male and a beautiful Italian woman gazing at the beautiful coastline of the Italian shore. It shows various gorgeous destinations throughout Italy and at each location the man and woman arrive separately as if they are just missing one another. The title of the ad is called “Among Friends” and it is for Salvatore Ferragamo who I am assuming is someone in the fashion industry. I think they attempted to use snob-appeal and maybe enhance the commercial with a narrative told with music and photos, but it left me unsatisfied, confused and wondering why they would drag it out for so long. Aside from the visual appeal this ad was a complete dud. I think it is a vague depiction of this brand and the viewer would basically have to use their own time to conduct a Google search for additional information. Nobody wants to do that. Just show us what you are selling.

No comments:

Post a Comment