Thursday, July 27, 2017

Week 5, Topic 2

I think that WikiLeaks is amazing in the aspect that it gives common citizens access to what is really going on, not just what the media chooses to feed us.

I think that it also serves as a way to keep high powered people on their toes, and hold them accountable. Maybe knowing that they could easily be put on blast will make them think twice before doing sideways, shady things. On the flip side I also see how this kind of information can be harmful to society. I think we have a right to know the truth and I don’t think the government and other world organizations should be entitled to withhold information and keep secrets. I also see how people could argue that classified information should be left alone. This is a sticky issue to me. I personally would rather have all the facts and have access to all of the facts, but I also see how a point could be made that this kinds of things being public knowledge could lead to mass-hysteria.
The other component is obviously the validity of the information that is provided to WikiLeaks. I am sure they do everything in their power to confirm the information before posting it on their site, but regardless of their efforts there is a factor of human error and things slipping through the cracks. The release of any information by a media organization that is inaccurate would be irresponsible, plain and simple. So when we are speaking of exceptionally controversial information extra care should be taken to verify stories.

I feel lucky to live in a place that I can express my opinion without fear of persecution by the government, etc. I am grateful to have access to pretty much anything I am curious about via the internet, youtube, etc. This is a double edged sword to me though because as much as I like having the ability to find out things and research things, the ability to access this information could also be used to do harm.

No comments:

Post a Comment